Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Final Exams

I teach basic photography. Yep that's right PHO101 at Brooks Institute here in Santa Barbara.

Yesterday was the final exam for my classes. For me that is the most boring class of all. I get to sit in front of the class like some policeman making sure no one cheats. It's quiet. All I hear is pencils coloring in scantron slips and the shuffle of papers as each student turns to the next page of the 100 question exam.

Some finish in less than an hour and others take over two hours.

Frankly, I would rather talk about their photos and how they feel about them. But testing seems to be the only way to measure students.

I think the photographic education and training the students are getting today is far superior to what I got when I was in school. So I got to thinking. Didn't I still have a photo or two from my first days at school?





I think I was shooting the Shape, Line and Texture assignment. Still the same today, it's a classic assignment. I mean what photographer doesn't consider shape line and texture in every photo we make.

2 comments:

Joe P. said...

Eliot wrote: I mean what photographer doesn't consider shape line and texture in every photo we make.

EC,

Yeah, but then it was (almost) hard work, now it's an unconscious function, intuitive and instinctive... like ordering a bacon cheeseburger at Jackson Hole.

Joe Pobereskin

Anonymous said...

(hope i do this right, never blogged or replied blog,ha)
Hey i remember this shot. I remember almost all your photos.
great comments and teachings you are making!!