Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Secret Life Of Koi



At the main entrance of the Mauna Lani Hotel on the island of Hawaii there is a fantastic collection of Koi fish. Often I will be seen there taking in the kinetic energy of the water made by the fish as they scramble for food tossed in.

I have spent hours there making photographs with different cameras. The one I used here is a Holga camera. By deliberately not advancing the film enough each time I made images overlap. This blending together of exposures created one long strip of film without the typical breaks between frames. 

Once the film was developed I scanned it. Then, I bookended and overlapped two versions of the image. By masking out one side I revealed this strange yet captivating image. 

Kind of a Rorschach test to the max.
What do you see here?


To see more of my work visit www.eliotcrowley.com

To see other random visual perceptions visit www.eliotcrowley.tumblr.com

No comments: